English      |      සිංහල      |      Articles      |      Interviews      |      Videos      |      Contact Us
Share |   

R.H.M. Keerthirathna gets Justice and 575 thousands as compensation
Anamaduwa police have arrested a person without proper identification, saying that they have an arrest warrant. After the arrest they have kept him for three months in the remand at prison. He had filed a petition because of violating his Fundamental Rights. And the Supreme Court upheld the Fundamental Rights Petition filed against the remand prison. Arguing that Article 12 (1) and 13 (1) of the Constitution have been violated by the relevant police officers, The Supreme Court yesterday (June 25) decided to pay
the petitioner a fine of Rs. Five million seventy five thousand (575,000).

Accordingly, Police Constable Premarathne 1st respondent must pay Rs. 25,000, OIC of the Anamaduwa Police Station, Upul Priyantha, the 2nd respondent, pay Rs. 50,000. And The Supreme Court today ordered the government to pay another Rs. 500,000 to the plaintiff. Attorney-at-Law Upul Kumarapperuma filed the Fundamental Rights Case (SCFR 491/2011) in 2011 under the instructions of
the Right to Life Human Rights Centre.

The petitioner in this case was R.H.M. Keerthirathna of Surakkulama, Mudalakkuliya. Keerthirathna was being severely injured in a car accident in 2010. Keerthirathna was arrested by the police on January 11, 2011, on the same day; the Magistrate was ordered to remand him till January 19, 2011. He had been hospitalized for almost a month. During this period, the police or magistrate have not done an identity test
has not been performed.

Some of human rights defenders who were in the Anamaduwa electorate in the ward of Right to Life Human Rights Centre together with his brother Senaratne appeared for Keerthirathna in custody on being involved in a clandestine affair. Keerthirathna would probably still be in custody so that their interference would not be possible. The court had immediately released him, declaring that Keertharathna had been involved in a mistreatment of three months after the actions taken against the arrest. However, as a result of the incident, the police or the court failed to take steps to detain a person in such a manner that a final fundamental rights petition was filed in this regard.

Also, the law community and the who have intervened in this case, Attorney at Law Mr. Upul Kumarapperuma, who have made a great sacrifice to bring this case to victory with earnest and eagerly awaiting trial for over a decade, must be appalled.



Find us on Facebook